SPICED APPLE CIDER SANGRIA
PREP: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 6 HOURS
TOTAL: 6 HOURS 10 MINUTES
This sweet spiced apple sangria is nice, light, a little bubbly, a tad sweet and an absolutely perfect excuse to celebrate the season.
- 1 750 ml bottle of white wine (I like something light, fruity, and not too sweet. Pinot grigio is perfect for this sangria)
- 3 cups apple cider
- 3/4 cup light rum (the clear rum)
- 3 – 4 medium apples (I like the colorful combo of honeycrisp, red delicious, golden delicious, and granny smith), cored and sliced
- 3 x 5cm orange peels (use a carrot peeler and try to avoid as much pith – the white part – as possible)
- 4 x 7cm cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 2 x 375ml bottles of ginger beer or ginger ale
- Add all ingredients except ginger ale to a 2.5 litre jug . Cover with airtight lid or cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, up to 24 hours.
- If desired, remove fruit and pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to strain out the spices and orange peel. Discard spices and orange peel and return liquid and apples to the jug. Personally, I like having the cloves and allspice bob around in each glass, so I don’t strain, but you do have to be careful to dodge the whole spices when drinking it.
- Pour liquid into glasses about halfway. Add apple slices until glass is about 3/4 full. Top off with ginger beer. Serve with a straw.
Recipe from Kitchen Treaty.